Saturday, March 22, 2008

Masonry and the Open Source Movement

There's something to this, and I've been thinking about it for a while.

It has been said that masonry can be found anywhere one chooses to look, and for a long time I think I've been seeing it in open source software.

A recent article that Chris Hodapp found relating to 'builder geeks' re-inheriting Masonry really started to stir my thinking on the topic.

Here's a few resources that I'm using to assemble my thoughts.

There is a connection I want to explore between the Masons' advocacy of equality for all, and the open source movements' advocacy of that same freedom for information, which is coming to be a key metric of freedom in our society today.

Any resources any of you might recommend to help shape this research would be warmly received.

No comments: